Monday, February 28, 2005

I can't English

After and exhausting week of interviewing 220 7th grade students, repeating the same or similar questions over and over again, I was looking forward to sitting at my desk and correcting homework. Usually correcting sentences which students write is fun because some kids try to write interesting or funny things. One boy wrote recently, "I like high school girls."

Sometimes though I run into the problem of not recognizing mistakes. If you see the same incorrect thing over and over again, sometimes it starts to look right. Just if you read the same word over and over again you begin to doubt the spelling. At first, "I can play swimming" and "I can't English" were obvious mistakes, but after a while I wasn't sure anymore about sentences like, "I can play bowling" correct/incorrect I wasn't really sure. After some deliberation though I came to the conclusion that it should be, "I can swim/bowl/skate/etc." and kept my degenerating English level from declining any further.

Currently listening to: Ashlee Simpson - Autobiography
Eden is reading: Another City not My Own
Josh is reading: Sick Puppy

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home