Saturday, December 25, 2004

Merry Christmas!


Merry Christmas one and all! Josh and I are in Hoi An, and boy, what a place!!! It is truly wonderful! This small city epitomizes how most people picture Asia -traditional buildings, lanterns lighting the streets and lively, interesting locals! We love it and are having a great Christmas day.

We got an early start and roamed the streets looking at all the small art galleries along the way. There are so many artists in this city and we were able to buy a few gorgeous paintings to grace our walls some day. We also were fitted by some tailors who will whip us up some clothes by tomorrow. Hoi An is also famous for it's tailors. In the afternoon we relaxed by the hotel pool and then went back into town for dinner.

After dinner we once again roamed the lantern lit streets. We were drawn to some comotion in the street and found that it was a kind of carnival game. People were paying a small fee for the chance to walk masked toward and small, hanging clay jar. The masked individual then had one chance to swing and smash the clay jar. If they were successful, they won a prize. Josh and I watched for a while and no one was winning. I decided I wanted to try my luck too, so I handed over the little sum. I donned the mask and marched forward with my baton. I did not think I had a chance of winning, but when I took my swing, I felt a SMASH! I won! I think everyone was very surprised!!! I won a little blue silk purse. I am very proud of it, even though I probably could have bought it for about a dollar.

Well, that has been our Christmas day and now we are heading to bed! We miss all of you and think of you often!

Love Eden and Josh

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home